Thursday, November 13, 2008

TRIP REPORT: Kayak Fishing the Nestucca River on the Oregon Coast

There's been some anticipation for this trip report, and I'll say right off the bat that we didn't get the sit-on-top kayak out into the action like originally planned.

If you read my last post, you will see that the weather report called for winds of 20-25 mph, instead of the 35-40mph we found on Tuesday. This was supposed to be a fun day after all.

I came down to the coast on Monday, with Paul & Kate from Alder Creek, and my girlfriend Shay. We were set to meet several other co-workers from the shop at the pub in Pacific City for our annual company party.

A few people surfed kayaks by the pub, another group paddled down to the mouth to hang out on the beach and possibly surf sea kayaks.


I decided to troll down to the mouth with Dave Slover, owner of Alder Creek.


Neither of us had fished this river before, and having been away from fishing the coast for the last month, I wasn't really sure if salmon would still be moving through the lower section, or if there had already been enough rain to push all the fish up river.

I did find several sea lions around me all day. It seems that what salmon do move through that section of the Nestucca are coming through at small tidal windows, probably the last two hours before high tide. The fish here are not going to be hanging out very long in the lower tidal section, but moving up river fast to avoid those sea lions.

It appeared timing was everything on the Nestucca, and my timing was off. We were floating down toward the mouth on a strong ebb. When we got within three-quarters of a mile of the mouth, the current was running at about 3 knots.

A small tidal race provided an opportunity for an experiment; I ferried my boat onto one of the small waves, facing into the current. I was able to hold my position on the little wave with my spinner twitching behind me at just the right speed. Without paddling against the current or using an anchor, I could hold my position in 3 knots of current and troll.

I started thinking about the possibility of a big king salmon slamming my spinner while I was riding a wave on a tidal race in 3+ knots of current, with a strong flow pushing straight out to sea, through the 8ft breakers.

I quickly realized this was not a realistic way to catch a salmon. It seemed about as ridiculous as trying to kill a bear with a knife. It's something you should probably only attempt if you have to, and I'm not that hungry....yet.

I reeled in the spinner, pulled out of the free ride and pointed the bow toward the mouth. It was time to see the action at the jaws of the river. I made it down quick.


I would estimate the current at around 5 knots at the jaws. The big break was pretty far out to sea from the river mouth, and I saw a way to sneak over to the beach, just barely crossing the bar. If my ferry angles were good, I'd slingshot back over to the beach where the rest of the group was hanging out.

I hit it fairly well, and managed to avoid pounding surf as I paddled hard over to the beach.

I saw all the boats, but apparently they too had decided that it just wouldn't be fun to play outside the break, and took a walk on the beach instead.

I trolled back up the river to no avail. It made me miss the Nehalem. I did not know this river well enough to productively fish it. I didn't see a single salmon rolling, or any other fisherman. That's a pretty good indicator that I'm not on the fish.

I decided to try another experiment. I call it; The fish's perspective/under-water camera test:





I trolled back to the launch without a single strike. I was ok with that, my expectations were low for catching salmon this time. My real hope was getting some footage of me and my friends surfing the prowler on 10 to 14 ft. waves. Not to mention the fact there was a party to be had that night.

Bold plans were laid by all that evening. There were calls for getting up at 6:30 to hit the surf.

When we woke we found sideways rain, 40mph winds, un-surfable waves, and a general apathy for all things action. We headed to the beach with boats on the car to asses the conditions close up.


These weren't the 14 ft clean green waves you hope for, they were white vertical walls of pummeling fury. When they broke, the foam & spray ripped off through the air in the sever winds.

This didn't look like the fun day of filming surf kayaking with my friends I had hoped for. We decided to head back to the house and finish off that keg.


We all agreed to give it another go when the chances of trouble were minimal, rather than probable. Whenever it does go down, the footage will be sweet. I will keep you updated as we narrow another date for the coast.

I'll get some footage of the Prowler out in the big surf here in the next few weeks. I'll also be fishing for sturgeon from a kayak this month....something I've always wanted to do.

Until next week,

Jason

1 comment:

kayak fishing. said...

Kayak fishing for world.