Saturday, March 14, 2009

TRIP REPORT: March 12th & 13th. Columbia River at Willow Bar, Sauvie Island.

3/12/2009

After recovering from the hangover that comes with a bachelor-party boys-weekend in New Orleans, I woke early and drove out to Sauvie Island with the kayak on top of my truck. I was thinking about getting back out on the Columbia before my return flight had landed.

I did a bit of research the day prior, and found out about a few key areas for salmon fishing. The one thing I didn't research however, was an easy launch spot. The launch in this area I remembered from my previous trips ended up being a five foot vertical drop to the water; Something I did not feel like doing at 6 AM with 29 degree air temperature.

I decided to use a ramp I had spotted in the Island Cove Marina (Which I later learned is not open to the public). I parked my truck at the Island Cove Market (which by the way has great organic coffee and wonderful biscuits and gravy from 9AM - 5PM) and left a note in the window stating, "Gone kayaking, back by noon." I hauled my boat and gear down to the ramp, pushed off from the boat ramp, and paddled out the slough into the Columbia.

Fifty mile-per-hour winds in the Gorge the day prior had stirred the river down by Portland when I pulled out of the slough and paddled up towards willow bar. Instead of the glassy pond I had become familiar with, the river Thursday at dawn was a little more dynamic.





The bouncy conditions were enjoyable for kayaking, but kayak fishing was a little more challenging. While tying on a lure I focused in on the knot and jerked a bit when I dropped down the back side of a wave. At that moment I contemplated getting the Ocean Kayak Trident 15 out of the basement. I'll admit it; There are times when fishing is your goal, and nothing beats a big stable sit-on-top.

As I trolled spinners downriver of willow bar, I wondered what would happen if I hooked a big chinook salmon in the chop. Unfortunately, I did not get the opportunity to answer that question. No salmon today. By the time I returned to the boat ramp at noon, the river was once again a glassy pond.



I've really began to appreciate Sauvie Island. The island is composed of farms and bird & wildlife refuges, and is quite a nice departure from the busy city 20 minutes away. I snapped a few quick pics of the scenery on the island on my drive home.






3/13/2009

I did a little google earth searching, and found a dirt road right out to the beach at willow bar. This is the easiest launch yet, having to carry the kayak and gear only 20 yards to the river. I met Jeff at the beach around noon. When we arrived, we found bank anglers out in full force.




Normally I get a bit irritated when I see one-hundred people fishing the spot I want to fish. Today however, I was just glad to see the rumors I heard about this spot were true. It had to be good if this many people were keyed in on this small beach. I talked to an old-timer named Jack, who spoke of the good ol' days when forty or fifty fish a day would be caught off this beach on a regular basis. He said the peak of the run at the mouth of the Willamette was not until around the third week in April, which deflated my spirits a bit seeing as it was the second week of March.

Dozens of boats and bank anglers on both sides of the river means that the salmon are moving into the area though, be it a trickle of fish or not. I read a report the night before stating that one fish per dozen boats was the average over the weekend, which indicates the run has just begun.

Having put my statistical doubts aside, Jeff and I launched off the beach at willow bar around 12:30 PM to a glassy river, with air temperatures in the mid fifties, light winds, and partly cloudy skies.



Green label herring trolled or mooched just off the bottom was the preferred method of the day, and we preceded to drift downriver towards reeder beach. As an hour or so passed, the easy pace of the river and the mild conditions overtook me. My focus drifted from fishing, and leaned towards just enjoying the moment and listening to the birds.


As we drifted past reeder beach, down towards warrior point lighthouse, I regained my desire for spring salmon and returned my focus towards fishing. We were doing everything right. We had the right bait, depth, timing, location, and technique, but the sun was setting, and 5 hours of trolling had not produced so much as one strike. I was a little disappointed that we did not get into any fish, but the day was excellent, and the eight mile paddle back up river to the launch at sunset was exceptional.




We worked Sauvie Island hard and did everything right, and had no strikes. The season is still young, and I know it's just a matter of putting in the hours at this point....It's only a matter of time!

Until next week,

Jason

2 comments:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Nice report Jason, cheers for that. Must be a week since you posted, it's simply not good enough.. perhaps it was all that alcohol :)

We all blank from time to time, but I'm itching to see a salmon on your yak, c'mon, make me happy !

Unknown said...

Ouch! Man I'm getting heckled from across the pond now. ha ha. I'm itching too Rob, trust me. In my own defense, I started trying for spring salmon about a month before they actually showed. Now they are just starting to come in, and catch rates for everyone are pretty abismal. The big push of salmon should ramp up to the peak in the third week in April. If I don't have a salmon in the yak by then, I may have to start trying for bass or carp, just so I remember how to CATCH a fish!

Thanks for your comments Rob,

Jason