Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lingzilla!

I managed to boat this fine beast while guiding a four-day kayak fishing tour in the San Juan Islands, Washington, using a handline from my sea kayak. Just after lunch, I put in with one of the clients while the others napped on the beach. My jig wasn't in the water for more than five minutes when I felt the familiar shake of a lingcod on the end of the line. As soon as I began to pull the rope in hand over hand, I knew it was bigger than the average fish; in fact it was right about three feet! After a few photos, I released it to go and make monster ling babies. Not to worry, I will post a full trip report and pics here soon!

For now, I'm preparing/getting excited to attend and compete in Northwest Kayak Angler's Oregon Rockfish Classic this weekend out at Depoe Bay, Oregon. I'm looking forward to hanging with some of the guys I normally only swap stories with online.

Here's to big fish and good conditions this weekend!

-Jason

No comments: