Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Kayak Fishing on Reality TV

My fellow fishing guide Eric Stockwell (photos) and I had the opportunity to work with a SoCal TV crew a few days ago shooting a pilot for a show about food foraging, and farmed vs. wild food. It's set for Pivot TV; part of the Bravo Network.
 
I met the stars of the show; two chef's from LA, at the marina on Humboldt Bay, where I gave them some basic directional control and safety lessons to prepare them for the next day on the ocean and salmon fishing. The lesson went well, and I felt confident we could safely take them on the ocean even though they had less than four hours of kayaking experience.
 
The next morning we launched at Shelter Cove, CA to ideal conditions. SW swell 3-5ft @ 9s, W winds to 5kts, and a high of 80F without a cloud in the sky.



We trolled about a mile South of the launch and managed to get into some fish before we headed back to shore to grill it up.







I learned a lot about video production and made some good connections. Overall the experience was awesome. Any day on the ocean with friends, especially an amazingly beautiful location like Shelter Cove, is a great day.
 
If it seems this report is lacking in details, it's because it is. I'm not at liberty to discuss details of the plot until after the show airs, which at this point, I don't know when that will be! As soon as I find out, I will let you know here.
 
Up next is the Lumpy Waters Symposium in Pacific City, OR and I'm stoked to lead handline fishing for sea kayakers, and see all my old buds from up North.

Until next time,

Jason

No comments: