Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hello!

Welcome to Kayak Angler; an open forum for discussion on all things related to kayaking and fishing! I'll be hitting the Oregon coast hard this fall, targeting Chinook & Coho salmon, sea-run cutthroat trout, and steelhead trout from three different kayaks.

For off-shore ocean fishing I prefer my SKUK explorer; a true British sea kayak. The Pacific Ocean can get a bit nasty, and nothing but a sea kayak will do. I usually use a hand line, wrap it under the deck rigging, and paddle with a diver, flasher, and cut herring in tow.

When the salmon move into the bays and estuaries, I enjoy paddling a sit-on-top kayak, completely rigged for fishing, with two flush mount rod holders behind the seat well, an upright rod holder up front, and a large tank-well in back.

The SOT design allows me to hop out quick if I need to bank it, or turn my entire body completely around from bow to stern while fighting fish.

So; What are you guys using out there?

More to come soon!

2 comments:

Undisclosed said...

who the hell has a blog but not a cell phone?

Unknown said...

Ha ha, I do!

I carry a VHF marine radio for communication, weather reports, or to call the coastguard or other mariners for help.

A cell phone is only good for calling mommy, and they are fairly unreliable offshore or in the back country.