Thursday, October 9, 2008

TRIP REPORT: Nehalem Bay Salmon

This last trip to the coast was quite a disappointment as far as fishing. There were no fish in the bay at all. I did not talk to any anglers who landed fish. It's hard to believe after all the action last weekend.

I trolled the bay by kayak with my step-father on Sunday evening, and did not even see a roller. I decided to try again the next morning, thinking more salmon would enter the bay overnight, and on the next tide series.

I was wrong. I drove up river about 12 miles, and scouted for rollers the whole way down to the bay, and saw nothing. I hope this means a big push of silvers & king salmon are coming soon.

Although the kayak fishing was disappointing, the kayaking was not. I saw two other kayak anglers; a first for me. I've never seen another person kayak fishing that wasn't with me already. It's nice to know your not the only one!

I also discovered the Wheeler Lodge in Wheeler, OR on Nehalem Bay. Great prices, nice accommodations, and a launch 10 ft from your room on Nehalem Bay. They also let you use their recreational kayaks free when you book a room....pretty sweet deal. Check out http:\\wheeleronthebay.com They have some excellent specials running this fall.

I'm feeling pretty guilty about not having photos for you, so I'm digging into the archives over the next couple of days, and adding more pictures to the photo section at the bottom of the page.

I have to get crackin' on school for the next few weeks, so it will be a bit until I can get back to salmon fishing from a kayak. I will keep up with weekly posts, with information tips, techniques, and gear reviews.

-Jason

4 comments:

Brian said...

Hey Jason, I'm pretty sure some of those kayak anglers you met where friends of mine from North West Kayak Anglers. I wouldn't be surprised if you see more and more of us on the water in the future.

-Brian Steves

Unknown said...

It was good seeing them. I'm excited to see the sport growing.

I hope to see more kayak anglers every time!

Anonymous said...

Jason, If you were there on Wednesday and Thursday.......... it would have been Mike and myself. I think you were there on Sunday and Monday from what you told me. The fishing was the same. I did hear of one landing out of several we talked to.

Bill

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments Bill. I was there on Sunday & Monday. It is now 10/22 and the reports are still dismal for Nehalem. I was planning on catching the last of the silvers before they passed Bonneville dam, but injury is keeping me off the water. I am headed back to the coast this coming Sun/Mon. I haven't decided on Tillamook or Nehalem.

Although the fishing is slow, I feel that if I put in two solid days of focussed fishing, I should be able to at least get one.....I am an optimist though!