Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Breather

Ahhhh.....

Finals are finished, and I have a few weeks without school to relax. I'm going to lay low in December and recoup from an action packed year.

It has been freakishly cold and snowy in Portland, and in the entire Pacific Northwest for that matter. The frigid temps and dangerous driving conditions are providing little to no motivation for me to get out on the water and chase early winter steelhead.

On the other hand, there is only so much hibernation I can take before I start to get a little stir crazy and bust out no mater what the weather is.

I haven't been wasting all my time though. I've been busy researching and planning for kayak fishing for spring salmon on the Columbia. Spring king salmon are the fattest little pigs of the lot, and just about the only fish I don't release (except maybe a chrome-bright fall chinook).

With the Columbia river at my doorstep, I should be able to get out before work on a regular basis. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to fishing hard in March.

I do plan on kayak fishing for steelhead as much as possible this winter, but the crazy weather might limit my opportunities to get out. We'll just have to see.

SURFING SEA KAYAKS

A few of my friends (Dave White, Paul Kuthe, Richard Davis, & Nick Jacobs) went to Ocean Side on the Oregon Coast a couple of weeks ago to surf sea kayaks, and managed to snap some really great photographs.

Paul recently bought a digital SLR camera which is awesome, but his talent as an action photographer, the beautiful boats & scenery, and some skilled boating really make it all work. Here is one shot of Dave White ripping it up, taken by Paul Kuthe, as seen on Paul's blog: Boat with Paul http://www.paulkuthe.blogspot.com



Check out Paul's blog for a complete trip report, and some incredible sea kayak surf shots.

Until next time,

Jason

No comments: