Friday, January 15, 2010

San Juan Islands Multi-day Kayak Fishing Trips on Hold

Just when I thought I had successfully navigated the bureaucratic waters that are the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife "Non-salmon Charter License" laws, I hit a snag.

As of right now guided saltwater kayak-fishing in Washington is on hold. I feel confident that these issues will be worked out in my favor within the next couple of weeks, and will announce it here as soon as possible.

On the bright side, we're still taking reservations for Oregon saltwater day-trip and skill building clinics. On that note I would like to thank the State of Oregon and ODFW for writing laws that make sense, and that I can understand.

-Jason

2 comments:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

I can understand your frustration, it'll all come good soon enough.

I find this all quite interesting. In four years time I leave the Navy and I'll possibly end up in Australia, Canada or the Caribbean. I'd love to become a part time guide.... it'd be living the dream!

My wife is from the Dutch Antilles, great fishing. The only fishing is by deep sea charter boat, no one kayak fishes the islands. Seems like such an opportunity to me.

Unknown said...

I'd say you can't go wrong with any of those locations. If you go West Coast Canada, we'll have to get out fishing. I do think about the Caribbean all the time though...warm, clear water!!

I'd be interested to see what you find about guiding regulations in those areas. It would be interesting to compare.

Good luck with that and congratulations on retiring from the Navy in 4 years.