Monday, November 1, 2010

Alaska Coho Fishing 2010

I made my second annual pilgrimage to South East Alaska in early October. This year I left the spinning gear at home and concentrated my efforts on the fly rod. Over the period of a weak I learned a great deal about tossing flies, and although I still have much to learn, I feel confident in my abilities to get the fly to the fish in most conditions now. 

We arrived at the little river on the coast shortly after a powerful windstorm had blown through. The storm surge combined with the largest tides of the year flooded the river drainage and limited our access to fishing. The big tides pushed saltwater to the highest reachable holes on the river. Instead of coho resting in the usual spots in the lower river, they were surfing right past to the tiny tributaries in the mountains without stopping.

Few fish holding meant the catching was slower than last year, but compared to salmon fishing in the lower 48, it was still top notch.



















The slower fishing gave me an opportunity to get to know my friends a bit better and spend some time hiking and taking in my surroundings. Last year when the fishing was epic, I'm not sure if I saw anything except the river in front of me and fat coho on the end of my line. It was a nice change of pace and I came home feeling refreshed and rejuvenated rather than exhausted. The slow and simple pace of life- eat, drink, fish, sleep- really has me longing for an epic odyssey, and the gears are turning. A really big trip is in the works for 2011, I'll announce it here first as soon as it's official!

-Jason

4 comments:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

It's been a while since your last post, though it was well worth the wait!. Great report and pictures.. lovely fish.

Rick @ Kayak Fishing said...

Jason -
it's always a pleasure coming back to your blog and to read what's new on your end.
Sounds like you had a really good time in South Alaska and buddy, the images you have posted are just awesome! Keep it coming like that!

Rick@Kayak Fishing said...

Howdy Jason, what's going on?
No new posts? Don't become a bad blogger as I am. LOL
I hope everything is going well on your end. I really enjoyed reading your blog posts and looking at the awesome pictures. I think you did a good job with your blog so far.
If you like, feel free and contact me if you are interested in a guest post on my site. kfws at kayak-fishing dot ws
Regards
Rick

Unknown said...

Rick-

I'm still here. I've been working on a huge expedition for next winter, and I'm litterally days away from making the official announcement. There's tons going on and I have tons to report...just been busy on the big project. Won't be long!

Thanks for sticking around.

Jason