Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kayak Fishing Day Dream

Well, the rivers have receded back down to fishable levels, the weather is absolutely magnificent, with temperatures in the upper 50's, sparkling blue skies, and blessed sunshine. It is something to be treasured in the Pacific Northwest this time of year.

I can only day dream as I stare out the window at the beautiful sunshine. What wonderful memories are being made out on some forested river right now? I don't know, but I'm envious as I sit here, staring at the synthetic light of a computer monitor.

Responsibility can be a real downer sometimes. It's hard not to be a little bit resentful, when I'm stuck here writing papers for school. Classes seem to be a little intense this semester. I guess I should have expected as much from the "writing intensive" course descriptions.

I know, in the long run, applying myself fully to school now will benefit me more later, but that does not make me envy you lucky few out their chasing steelhead any less.

Although I don't have the time to get to the coast this weekend to chase steelies, I am going to do a scouting run of the spring salmon fishing grounds. I'm going to kayak from Chinook Landing to Jantzen beach on the Columbia River in preparation for kayak fishing for springers in March.

With the river flowing anywhere from 3 to 5 knots, it should only take two or three hours for the entire float. It isn't much for kayaking action, but hopefully it will fulfill my jones and help me get a better lay of the land for when the salmon do come back in March. At least I won't have to waste time learning the run then, I'll be able to get right into the fish, which will be crucial for pre-work fishing excursions. I'll post pics of the float when I return.

-Jason

No comments: