Tuesday, February 10, 2009

UPDATE: Kayak Fishing for Spring Salmon

I decided to take a quick mental breather from midterms to get out on the water and chase spring salmon yesterday. I knew I was a few weeks early for any real action, but I thought I would give it a go and test out a few new things. Maybe, I would catch an eager king making it's way through Portland, ahead of the bulk of the run.

I back drifted plugs and trolled spinners in the Multnomah Channel, but did not see fish, sea lions, other fisherman....You get the idea. There was nothing happening. Maybe a few fish are moving through this massive river right now, but it will be another couple of weeks before the mass migration begins.

All said and done it was a good day. My concern of being swept downstream into pilings while fighting fish were pretty much put to rest, and back trolling plugs without anchoring worked great.

I did however, pay a high price for taking 4 hours away from midterms. I ended up staying up all night finishing my paper. I submitted it at 7:56am.

It was due at 8.

Midterms are behind me now, and I will have a little more time to get out. I plan on hitting the Columbia down by Warrior Rock on Sauvie Island at least one day this weekend.

With any luck, I'll have some nice pics and a trip report for you next week.

-Jason

1 comment:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Hi, great blog!. Lots to read, should keep me busy for the next few days over lunch breaks, etc.

Some stunning scenery over your way, really nice.

Keep it up & tight lines

Rob