Sunday, February 8, 2009

KAYAK FISHING: Spring Salmon on the Columbia River

I have heard reports from several sources of sea lion sightings in the Columbia & Willamette rivers. This is a sure fire indicator that the spring salmon return is starting!

I have never fished the Columbia for salmon from a kayak, but the rivers close proximity to my work and home makes it enticing. I've spent the winter letting my hand get back to normal, studying charts & local salmon fishing techniques, and scouting launches and habitat from Warrior Rock on Sauvie Island,

View Larger Map

to Rooster Rock in the Columbia Gorge

View Larger Map

and everything in between.

View Larger Map

This gives me 50 river miles, with my workplace located on Hayden Island, at the middle point between Warrior Rock and Rooster Rock. With a nice stretch like that to work, I should be able to move up river with the fish throughout the season with easy access & previous experience with specific areas along the way.

Here are a few pics I took over the last few weeks. These first few pics are from the Columbia, on my approach upriver towards Govt. Island and the I-205 bridge. I found some nice salmon holding areas on the South side of Lemon Island, and what I believe to be the salmon's traveling lane on the North side of Lemon & Govt. Islands.






Although these fishing grounds are not the most scenic, they are convenient. Lately I have been so busy with school and work that I will take whatever I can get. I would much prefer to be fishing at the coast, but the reality is I do not have the time to get there right now. I have to admit, that just feeling sun on my face and being on the water was really quite enjoyable, regardless of the 747's taking off 400 yards away.

These pics were taken a few weeks ago out by Rooster Rock. It is usually windy in the Gorge, but this day was exceptional. My intention was to kayak that day, but 50+ mph winds are just no fun. I ended up hiking up into the gorge instead.




I have to say after my 3 month hiatus from kayak fishing, I am stoked just to get out and wet a line. I finish my last midterm tomorrow, and will finally have a little time to actually buy my 2009 fishing license, and get on the water chasing springers next Sunday and Monday.

It is still a bit early, but there are fish moving through. My plan is to get on the water early when the stakes are low and work out the kinks. By the time the bulk of the salmon are moving through, I will have my game perfected and finally get some action!

My plan is to back troll plugs and spinners, and spin & glows. My only concern is the wing dams all along the river. If I am not anchored and hook up with a spunky king upriver from a wing dam or other boats, it could be dangerous, as I will basically be at the mercy of the current and fish. It will definitely be interesting. If this proves to be too dangerous, I will anchor up and run plugs/spinners/spin & glows, but this can be a little boring just sitting and waiting.

I will post a complete trip report with pics next week!

Until then,

Jason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm new to kayak fishing but not fishing in General.. I would like to get out and do some fall chinook fishing as the weather will be awesome and we have a huge run coming. I would like to "hook up" with a kayak partner though..More fun ..send me an email to slbrightside@aol.com if anyone wants to go