Monday, April 13, 2009

COLUMBIA RIVER SPRING SALMON: The End is Near

On Thursday, April 9th, I launched my kayak from Willow Bar at 7 AM. The wind blew a steady 12 mph as storm clouds gathered over Portland. I pushed off the beach and paddled out about 150 ft. from shore. I dropped my herring down to the bottom, and reeled it off just a little. As I was getting situated in my kayak, my rod tip doubled over and began dancing! A strike! I could not believe it! My excitement quickly turned into disappointment; The fish shook off as I pulled the rod from the holder. I have never felt more jinxed.

I paddled upstream, trolling herring until the tide changed around 8:30. When the tide turned to ebb, I drifted downstream with the current to social security beach, then paddled back up to start the run all over again.

I had high hopes for this day. I had committed myself to a minimum 12 hours of fishing, or until I caught one, whichever came first. As I turned my kayak to return up river for my third pass, I realized that the minus tide predicted for today meant business.

I don't know if it was the fact that I am physically exhausted from this season, the fact that I skipped breakfast that day, or that the minus tide which had the river flowing at about 4+ knots at the peak ebb, but I had no desire to paddle up river against the strong current and 12 mph of wind. At an average forward rate of 5 knots, it would have taken 3 hours for me to paddle the three miles back to the top of the bar. I pulled out on the beach and had lunch while I waited for slack.


When the river laid down a bit, I trolled slowly back upstream to the top of the bar, where a friend met me around 3PM. His company lifted my spirits, but did not produce any fish. I pulled out after 12 hours on the water tired, frustrated, and ready to give up. There is only one week left in the season for the lower Columbia, and I have to say, I am ok with that.

The big push of fish has still not shown, although I do believe it is coming (The week after the season closes). Salmon passage over Bonneville dam has increased from 10's a day to around 100 a day, but those 2-500 fish days at Bonneville (indicating 10's of thousands in the Portland area) still have not happened, and I don't believe we will see as big of a return as ODFW predicted.

The late, or lack of returning salmon is of concern for environmental reasons, but is really no excuse for a lack of catching. Every time I've been out for the last month, I have seen fish caught within 100 yards of my position, but for some reason they are not hitting my presentation. I have tried every bait, lure, and attractant under the sun, but at this point, it seems to be about luck more than anything, and I don't have it right now.

As far as I know, only one salmon has been taken from a kayak angler this season around Portland, and the bankies and power boaters strike out more often then not, But still I am frustrated by the amount of time and effort I have put in without so much as a real hook up to show for it.

I need to get back to kayak fishing for fun, not for determination. The fishing god's are trying to tell me something, and I am starting to listen. Spring is here, and summer soon to follow, and I plan on getting back to the Oregon coast and fishing for the joy of it, rather than jockeying with hundreds of bankies and powerboats around Portland and getting frustrated.

I am still not willing to give up yet, and plan on going gangbusters this last week. I'm going to put in the hours and see what happens. At least I can walk away from this season knowing I am not a quitter, even if I have no fish to show for the effort.

Until next week,

Jason

7 comments:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Jason..
That report was full of mixed emotions, I couldn't make my mind up whether to laugh or just to feel bad for you. Anyway, I did a bit of both :)

"I had no desire to paddle up river against the strong current and 12 mph of wind" - clearly moral is low, I don't know what to suggest, a case of good wine or a night at a lap dancing bar?!

Good reading though, chin up :)

Gary in Vancouver said...

Jason - Good to hear you made it back out; I can almost feel your pain and like a lot of those out there have had the same results. Only seen a few fish caught, including a couple from the same boat, and had nary a strike.
I've been able to make it out only a few times this season - twice on my buddy's boat and a couple days plunkin'. I had more opportunites to get out and even took time off from work, but on several days the plan to just get out on the river failed. Heck, even made an offering to the Fish Gods (a couple of shiny new 12oz bank weights) and still no fish. At least I'm more relaxed and rested and will be back out there to sling a hunk of lead and a spin-n-glow a few more times this season.

Gary

Unknown said...

Oh I laugh and I cry. Both seem fitting. Truth is I have been out every Thursday, Friday, and some Saturdays since mid-February. I have skipped a few trip reports because I am so sick of writing "I launched at willow bar, fished for 400 hours, caught no fish."

I have calculated that I have well over 200 hours chasing springers just this season, with nothing but goose eggs in the boat.

Laugh or cry; Your choice!

Thanks for your comments Rob & Gary.

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Hey I hope you realise I'm just pulling your leg!. We have to laugh during these tough times otherwise we'd turn into jibbering idiots. I'm already halfway they, trying to hold back on the other half.

Gary, 12oz bank weights?, whoaaa, they're big?!. It that purely down to the river flow?

Rob

Unknown said...

Rob-

I enjoy razzing people more than most, and I always enjoy an opportunity to laugh at myself. I hope you know I'm ok with giving and receiving B.S.!

The 12 oz weights are for the current. The Columbia is second in volume only to the Mississippi in North America, and it is also affected by the tides 180 miles from the ocean!

Those big weights are used for "plunking", where you cast out, let the weight rest on the bottom, the presentation drift downstream of the weight, and then you sit and wait for the bell on your rod to ring. Seems pretty smart after I've paddled 5,000 miles for no fish, and they just sit and relax and wait!

Bill Wallberg said...

Always love your comments.

you did better than me. i was out in the Colombia,,,,,,,,,,, tipped my kayak and lost very good rod and reel.

Bill Wallberg

Unknown said...

Bill-

Ouch! Hurts to lose the gear, but sounds like you made it back on the boat and are still alive and well, which is as good as you can do sometimes!

I started leashing my paddle, net, rod and reel a few weeks ago. It is quite a mess on deck with all those lines, but it (might) lessen the chances of losing something overboard.

I did lose a water bottle off the boat a few weeks ago....unfortunately, sometimes an offering to the fish gods is what it takes.