Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Columbia River Spring Salmon Season Finished

I got out on the Multnomah Channel this past Friday 4/24 for a couple of hours, giving it one last shot at a keeper. I launched at the Gilbert River boat ramp at 7AM to winds to 10mph and temperatures in the lower 40's. Five minutes after launch, I spotted Brian from Northwest Kayak Anglers on the far side of the river. He paddled over, and together we made one pass up river, and one down. "If I don't see a fish caught by the time we get back to the ramp, I'm going to bail." I told Brian. We did not see a single salmon fought that morning by anyone, so we were off the water by 11.

I am not sure why it wasn't epic. The one factor that had changed was the river level. Warm temperatures had melted snow in the mountains, and the river had risen two feet since last week.

As of today, less than 17,000 spring chinook salmon have crossed the Bonneville dam. There is potential for a large number returning through the end of May, but it does seem at this point that the returns will be significantly lower than the 297,000 predicted by ODFW. At any rate, the Columbia has closed to sport fishing for salmon before the bulk of the run has returned. The rest of the allotment is set for tribal fishing, which I whole-heartedly support, and commercial gill netting, which I will never understand; Powerful lobby I guess.

Anyway, I am already thinking about Oregon Coast springers in late May. I am so excited to get back to saltwater and beautiful scenery after urban combat fishing the last couple of months with limited results. I am heading to the coast with Shay and her new boat, a NDK Explorer LV, May 3rd through 5th. Checking the marine forecast this morning predicted 30mph winds and 15-20ft seas at that time; Not ideal by any standards. I will probably head inland to the reach of tide and fish for cutthroat while seeking refuge from the wind.

I am jonesing for long boat surfing, and may try and get to the coast this coming Friday with Dave White and Richard Davis, when the marine forecast calls for seas of 4 to 5 ft at 15 seconds. This is ideal for surfing sea kayaks, and may be the only window to get out on the ocean in the next few weeks, as I am buried in catch-up work for school. I do have some interesting classes this semester, aside from chemistry of course. Principles of Wildlife Disease, and Global Crisis Resource Ecology seem poignant in this day and age.

I'll be sure and get some good pics and video if I can tear away from the books and get into the surf this Friday, and Nehalem this Sunday through Tuesday.

Until then,

Jason

1 comment:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Bad luck Jason, I hope the springers provide you with some better action.

Rob